June 26, 2017, 02:51:45 AM

Author Topic: Session Blues Baby and Fender Blues Junior side by side.  (Read 1153 times)

Offline davidj

• View Profile
To the left is a newly acquired Fender Blues Junior cabinet (with a Session badge now) and I have put my Session clone amp and a new reverb unit in, no speaker.  To the right is my Fender amp all put back together.  The amps sound very similar, but only if I play them both through the same speaker - the Celestion that's inside the Marshall cabinet.  The standard Fender speaker (made by Eminence) is much brighter and sparklier.  The Marshall cab has a closed back which accentuates the bassy beefy characteristics of the speaker.  I'm not sure what speaker to put in the Session cab - for the time being I'll either carry on using the Marshall extension cab or I might take the speaker out and put it into the Session.   Happy days.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:46:55 PM by davidj »
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline davidj

• View Profile
Re: Session Blues Baby and Fender Blues Junior side by side.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • I thought I had decided and was part-way through taking the Marshall cab apart.  Unusually for me I decided to check on the practicalities first.  The speaker is over-specified for the modest 22 watts that the Session produces.  It is rated at 150 watts which is ok except it is six inches deep and wouldn't fit inside the much smaller Session cab.  Ok - I'll put the Marshall cabinet back together now!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:00:07 PM by davidj »

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • The Session Amp is on this recording - from about 1.30 you can hear a slightly crunchy lead sound.   This is back when the clone was installed in the Fender cab ie through the Fender speaker.

https://soundcloud.com/david-jutton/06-the-simon-kemp-rhythm-and-blues-orchestra-up-above-my-head

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • What's not to love about that gorgeous Session then David?  ;D
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Very little Rob!  It is lighter and quieter than the BJ and sound-wise the two are very alike (ie great!).  The Session has a couple of extra sounds too - mine has the optional Blackface and Presence switches.  The first is great for "glass" and the second flatters a Les Paul nicely.

Very chuffed with it and they are now sold as complete combos with a variety of options (cabinet finish, speaker).  There a 45W version too.

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments