December 14, 2017, 02:06:35 AM

Cort Acoustic Guitars

Author Topic: open D  (Read 620 times)

Offline curiousgeorge

• View Profile
open D
« on: July 15, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi guys been trying to tune my guitar to open D when i strum with no chord it sounds ok when i add a chord it sounds terrible would a chromatic tuner help?

Offline Rob S

• Founder
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
    Re: open D
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • OK, so you have your guitar tuned to open D? Before you do anything else, just use your index finger as a Barre  and move around the neck. Sounds better? You bet it does! When you are in the majority of Open Tunings, the chord positions that you already know from Standard Tuning, mean very little anymore.
    It really is a matter of experimentation, don't forget, you can get some amazing things happening by just using one finger and letting the drone effect of the Open D work its magic.
    Start by fretting your 4th string at the 12th Fret and then strum ALL the strings, then try moving your finger either down, or up the same string whilst strumming them all.
    "I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline curiousgeorge

• View Profile
    Re: open D
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Rob spot on as usual

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments