May 25, 2017, 03:19:47 PM

Author Topic: Old guy new hobby  (Read 378 times)

Offline Jim3

• TGG Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Old guy new hobby
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »
Hello all.
Purchased a cheap burswood electric up off ebay a week ago,  the intention was to mount it on thebwall in my hallway.  It was only a few quid,  cost more for shipping than I paid for it.  It arrived with the neck off but strings still attatched,  so after assembly I felt the urge to 'have a go',  so I have been practicing the D chord all week and stopping when my fingers bled...  well began to hurt. I found these mini practice sessions strangely therapeutic and have decided to do some lessons.

I have my eye on a better guitar,  a Yamaha Pacifica 112v and if I do get this,  I might take it to a local guitar shop to have it set up properly so that the inevitable mistakes cant be blamed on the guitar :P.

At 50 yo I have left it a bit late to learn,  but its not harming anyone,  free earplugs are available upon request :).

Anyways any advice would be gratefully accepted,  its a long road but I am taking it one step at a time.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all.

Jim

Johnny-English

Re: Old guy new hobby
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
Hi Jim,
welcome to the guitar grounds 😀

Your never to late to pick a guitar up and start on your learning jurny 🎸🎸🎸

check out Justin Sandercoe on you tube , brilliant lessons to follow
http://www.justinguitar.com

As for a Yamaha Pacifica 112 , that is a really good guitar that punches way above its price .

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:26:05 PM by Johnny-English »

Offline Vision Guitars

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Vision Guitars
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »
Welcome Jim!

The site John suggested is brilliant and also theres loads of free lessons on Youtube worth checking out!

Hope to see you around here often and look forward to hearing your progress

BTW if and when you fancy a Pacifica give me a shout. . . I can supply one and include the set up for free rather than paying a shop 50 quid extra  ;D

http://www.visionguitars.co.uk/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Yamaha-Electric-Guitars/buy-yamaha-pacifica-electric-guitars

Offline Jim3

• TGG Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
Thanks for the welcime guys very much appreciated.  I have been practicing the D chord for short bursts since the Guitar arrived,  one things for sure its going to take a while.  Justin makes it look easy,  but his lessons gives hope lol.
I havent been able to access the forum for a day or so,  and in the meantime I bought a new guitar off the bay.  Yamaha 112, it inludes a gig bag and hard case all for just over ?100. I missed your post or else I might have taken you up on your kind offer.

The current guitar wont stay tuned on the low E string for some reason, but I will put up with it untill I get the Yamaha set up.

Thanks again for the welcome guys and wish you all happy holidays.

Jim

Offline John H

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • John's Music
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »
Welcome! You could try drawing chord shapes on index cards. Shuffle them, and starting with just two (then three, four, etc.) get comfortable with moving your fingers around. Start with the basic major and minor open position chords. Then, as you dexterity improves, move on to other positions.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

https://soundcloud.com/sg-john

Interest free Finance on guitars, guitar amps and musical instruments