Offline curiousgeorge

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Volume pedals
« on: June 09, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
Hey guys
 been having a think...if i put 2 volume pedals on a pedal board but say 1 at the begining and 1 in middle would they have a different effect on the board ?

Offline evan47

• +0/-0
  • TGG Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Volume pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »
Well, its been a while since I messed with individual pedals but I would say that the biggest difference you can make this way is by putting one before your distortion/overdrive pedal (if you use one) which would control the level of distortion just like winding back your guitars volume control ( but likely without rounding the tone ) and one after the distortion pedal which will just control your overall volume level.
If you are using a delay it is possible that you could have a volume pedal to control the level of the delayed signal only which would be cool but you would have to use a splitter box or cable to route things.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
Speak to Mark about Volume Pedals George. He uses them a LOT  ;D ;D ;D
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline Mark Abrahams

• +31/-0
  • Guitarist with Wishbone Ash
    • View Profile
    • Mark Abrahams Blues Rock Guitarist
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
Yeah, Lots of difference!

If you have the volume pedal positioned before any activated overdrive / distortion pedals as you back off the volume pedal you will also clean up your sound - Positioned after distortion pedals and you will keep the amount of gain and only reduce volume.

Kind of the same thing before and after delay pedals - positioned before a delay pedal you can back off the volume and the delays still carry on repeating (i use this a lot for swell effects) - if you position the volume pedal after delay you delay will stop when the volume is off.