Offline Daniel T

• +24/-0
  • In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
Funny old day yesterday...
« on: July 04, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »
Short version is that the site where I work will close in March next year. Redundancy beckons...

Longer version is that there is no need to worry about me on financial grounds. In fact looking at the situation with my head then this might even be a win-win situation (for me and the company). However my heart keeps pointing out that I've worked here for 14 years and, apart from temping when I was a student, never worked anywhere else. The reason for that it that I like it here.

A weird day...
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Offline Rob S

• Founder
  • +59/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonoma.co.uk
Re: Funny old day yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Daniel, liking where you work and the people with whom you work and for whom you work is worth a very great deal. :thumb: :thumb:
Positive thoughts to you all. ;)
"I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour."

If you lend someone ?20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.

Offline davidj

• +42/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:36:27 PM »
An unsettling experience - especially after that amount of time somewhere you like.  If it encourages you, I've had a couple of experiences of redundancy and it's perfectly survivable.  It may not be your choice of making a job change but there's no reason to suppose that there isn't another job out there that you will like just as well.  If finance is not a worry then you can hopefully take a good look before you leap.

Good luck -  :thumb:
I'm back - am I the same person or just a clone of myself?

Offline Fox5150

• +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »
We had a round of redundancies at work a long time ago now. One of my friends opted to take voluntary redundancy (slightly different I know) as he was due a pretty good pay out. It then gave him the motivation to better his lot and still quotes it as the best thing he ever did. Twelve years on he's in a position that he could only have imagined back then.

Glad to hear you're safe financially, could be a good thing though  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:13:07 AM by Fox5150 »
Check out my band Total80s - http://www.total80s.co.uk

Offline Daniel T

• +24/-0
  • In search of fuzz, not farts
    • View Profile
    • Daniel's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
Thanks chaps.

I agree that its a terrific opportunity. if I can I'm hoping to leave the set-top-box business... whilst its technically interesting there is something slightly unsatisfying about designing device that do everything they can try to prevent the customer doing what they want (like copying a TV show to their iPad).

I'd like to work on something user modifiable. Users do interesting things...
I like to spell peddant with two Ds. That always annoys them.

Johnny-English

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »
Sounds like a plan coming together Daniel , sometimes things happen for a good reason, hope it?s that time for you   :thumb: :thumb: